Note: This article refers to the Framer desktop app. Learn more about the differences between the Framer web and desktop app here.
Framer also comes with a macOS desktop app. If you are on the Framer Pro or Enterprise plan, you can download and open projects directly in the desktop app.
The desktop app allows for some additional features, such as the ability to use external dependencies in code and working offline.
To learn more, see our article on the differences between web and desktop.
Opening a web project in the desktop app
To open a Framer Web project on the desktop app, you can follow these steps:
- Open your project on Framer web
- From the Menu, click File > Download
- Open the downloaded project in the Framer desktop app
Uploading a desktop project to the web app
Follow these steps instead if you’d like your project uploaded back to Framer web:
- Open the Framer web dashboard
- Under your Drafts or under your Team, open the Import menu dropdown to the right
- Select the Desktop option
- Choose your local .framerx project file
Projects opened in the desktop app have their own unique
.framerfx file format, the latter being a folder-backed project.
Files uploaded to Framer web need to have the
.framerx extension. Follow the steps outlined here to learn how to save projects as